Westside Coastline

Westside Coastline
Westside Coastline

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Suspicious Door to Door Solicitors

We have been having an email discussion among members of the Marquez Knolls Property Owners Association about suspicious door to door solicitors, particularly those offering home improvement services.  As someone who regularly knocks on doors in my neighborhood to offer my real estate services, I have a little bit of perspective from both sides of the portal.


I begin with the knowledge that most people are very wary of door to door solicitors.  If there is a sign posted saying no solicitors or anything else of that nature, I simply move on to the next home.  When I do knock on the door, I take a big step back away from the door and I remove my sunglasses if I am wearing them.  Most of my conversations are quick, but then I am not trying to get someone to buy a cash service from me.

In discussing the solicitors that have been working our neighborhood, a few practices were mentioned that can help separate the legitimate service providers from someone with other intent.  First, never let a solicitor in your home without having first checked out who they are and confirmed that they are legitimate.  You can always take their card or brochure and say that you will call them later if you are interested in their service.  If they don't have anything to leave with you, that is a big red flag.  Notify your security patrol if you have one and also give the police a call.  When we asked LAPD Captain Evangelyn Nathan about suspicious solicitors, her reply was "Immediately dial 911 when something like this occurs.  WLA is very interested in this type of behavior."

If they seem like they are possibly legitimate, there is still room for caution before getting engaged with them.  If they give you a business card or brochure, they should have a contractor's license number.  You can check them out at the California Contractors Board at https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/CheckLicense.aspx. Simply type in the license number or company name and verify that the information on file matches that of the information provided to you by the solicitor.  If you want to take an extra measure of caution, call the company and confirm that they have someone soliciting business in your area.



No one wants to treat legitimate solicitors like criminals.  But at the same time, it is all too easy for real criminals to impersonate a legitimate solicitor.  So before you invite one into your home or possibly even open your door to them, be sure you know who you are talking with.  If they are legitimate, they will be happy to allow you to take the necessary steps to satisfy yourself that they are who they say they are.  Better to be safe than sorry.

That is it for this post and as always, if I can be of any assistance to you or any of your friends, family or colleagues with any of your real estate needs (residential, commercial or otherwise) or if I can help find a real estate professional for you to work with in your local community, please let me know.  It would be my pleasure to help.

Jim Rea
Keller Willliams Palisades

No comments:

Post a Comment